Monday, June 12, 2006

What's so great about Lemonade Stands?

I've had my share of lemons, haven't you? We all have. The question is not whether or not we have had lemons (for we all will have our share), but rather what we do in response to our lemons. The best thing I've found to do with all of those lemons is to mix up a big batch of fresh, icy cold lemonade, find a sunny, warm porch with a gentle breeze, and sit and sip awhile. Thus, one of my favorite quotes from some wise person that came before:
"When life hands you Lemons, Make Lemonade"
On July 11, 1999, I was handed a BIG lemon. While frying okra for dinner, the oil got too hot, and I had a Kitchen Fire, from which I was severely burned over most of my body. Recovery was slow and painful and very humbling, but sure enough a silver lining emerged. One of my friends brought over some Vitamin E Oil, Lavender and Geranium Essential oils to me. The Lavender and Vitamin E were for my skin, to help in the healing process. The Geranium was to put in a diffuser (which she also gave me) in order to benefit from it's uplifting & mental clarifying properties. I had never used essential oils before, had no clue about what kinds there were, how to use them, or why to use them. I found all of this so enjoyable that my interest in the essential oils & herbs was peaked.
I begain to pick up small bottles of various essential oils at my local health food store and was constantly diffusing this or that essential oil, often making my own blends. The great thing about this new interest is that as I became more involved in the creative process, I became less bound up in the pain and trauma of my accident.
Now I am a very practical person, and I am also a very creative person. I love the creative process, but it is important to me that the things that I create end up being useful - practical in some way. So I begain to read, to search, to ponder, and soon came upon the idea of handmade and natural soap and skin care products as a hobby. Thus, the birth of our family business,
Jeannie's Soaps. Finally, from that big fat lemon, the delicious, refreshing, thirst quenching lemonade began to emerge.
So why this blog? Why tell this story? Really for selfish reasons. Right now in my life, I NEED to 'make lemonade' every day. The path of least resistance would be to give in; to simply fade away and be no more. It would be sooo easy, and would bring an end to soo much pain. My Lemonade Stand is a way for me to choose life; to make a concious choice every day not to give up, and yes, to acknowledge with gratitude that I have been given the privilege of living another day. In the process maybe I'll be able to bring some perspective to your life as well.

No comments: